A website can have different design’s, function’s and pattern. A website can either be static or dynamic.
Static is outdated and not recommended. A dynamic website is very interactive, updated real-time and can be optimised. A very common term used with website is Responsive, which means it can adapt to any browser Chrome, Firefox etc. and can suit any display options desktop, Mobile or Tablet.
Now let’s list and understand the most common types of Website
- Blog / Blogging. This website is run by one person or a small group, and is normally written in a laid-back style. It is completely content oriented. A successful blogging site can easily be monetised through various options.
- Business, brochure or Informative. This is the most basic type of Website. It will have few pages about the company e.g. About, services, contact etc. This type of website presents the overview of the company.
- E-commerce. An ecommerce website is a website that allows buying & selling of products or services. This can further be classified as Single Vendor Website or Multi-Vendor website. In a Single Vendor website there is only one Seller / Owner of website selling single or different products of various categories. In a Multi-Vendor Website different Sellers come together to sell their respective products. Eg. Amazon or Flipcart.
- Personal This type of website is owned by photographers , famous personalities or any Individual’s.
- Portal. A portal is larger than a website. It can have various features & functions. It can be internal websites for organizations like schools, or for big businesses. It usually has a login and payment gateways. Usually portals are used for generating major online businesses. Portals can be specific in nature. For example, Job Portal is specifically for job hunter’s. Buy and Sell Car Website Portal’s etc. Hope the above example’s will clear the doubt in your mind about the difference between just a website & Web Portal.
- Portfolio. This is one step further than a personal website – this is where a portfolio website can help. Best suited for freelancers to showcase their work and get noted.
- Business Directory. These are websites to find services and businesses. Basically these are online directories pertaining to specific topic or general. They can be dedicated to a specific location, topic or industry. Directory websites serve as useful lists of resources. Eg. Just dial , Practo etc.
- Online Community. These are community forums to be in touch and share ideas with people of same interests or from similar backgrounds or community. Website users can share their ideas, photo’s etc. with each other.
- Social media . Social media websites are platforms which allow the sharing of images or ideas. They encourage online interaction and sharing. The most popular social media website is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.